Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Beauty Staple: Hilary Rhoda's Statement Brows

WHO: Hilary Rhoda, the New York City–based model

WHAT: “I’ve had thick eyebrows my whole life. People were telling me that I looked like Brooke Shields before I even knew who that was. When I got to middle school, all the girls started taking their older sisters’ tweezers and plucking. I was tempted, but my mother always told me to never touch them. I’m glad that I listened to her. In fact, it’s actually a miracle that I came out unscathed because it was that time in the nineties when pencil-thin eyebrows were the look.”

WHEN: “They don’t really grow that much outside of their shape so I’ve never had to do threading or waxing or anything like that. Although every time I go and get a manicure in New York, the aestheticians ask me if I want an eyebrow wax and I’m like ‘No thanks!’ I just pluck them myself a little bit. Just one or two hairs when I see them. The only time I let someone touch them was when we shot the cover of Vogue. Steven Meisel came over and started tweezing a few stray hairs away and I was just like, ‘All right, I’m going to let this happen. I trust him.’ Grooming-wise, I use Estée Lauder Brow Setting Gel. I put it on in the morning and it lasts through the day. I also have this habit of pinching them from the inner corners to the ends to keep everything in place.”

WHY: “I use my eyebrows to express myself. Once for a Viktor & Rolf runway show, the makeup artist glued them down and put concealer over them. I kept furrowing my brow and you couldn’t see anything. It felt very blank. I also love my brows because they frame my face and they’re dramatic—which means I can get away with wearing less makeup!”

No comments:

Post a Comment