Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Model Karmen Pedaru

How do you say hello where you are from? “Tere, kust sa oled pärit?” What is your coffee order? Espresso or cappuccino. What are the three items you always keep in your purse? Lip balm, my wallet, and a snack (apple or nuts).

How were you discovered? I went to see a play in Estonia with my grandmother when I was fifteen years old, and afterward, I bumped into a woman who asked me if I wanted to be a model—she eventually became my agent. Most memorable modeling moment: There have been many memorable moments, but I guess the one I’ll always remember is my first job. Ten days after I was discovered, I got booked for Teen Vogue in India. I had never been on a plane, traveled so far away from home, or posed in front of a camera as a model. Most embarrassing modeling moment: Falling four times in a row on the catwalk was pretty bad. Favorite models of all time: Christy Turlington and Kate Moss.

Describe your style in four words: Relaxed, clean, comfortable, timeless. Favorite designers: Pheobe Philo and Riccardo Tisci. If you could trade closets with someone else, whose would you choose? Someone whose closet falls somewhere between Audrey Hepburn and Jane Birkin. What new addition to your wardrobe are you currently craving this season? A Givenchy-printed shirt or sweater and Elie Saab ankle boots. What item in your closet do you most cherish? I love my fur coats because they keep me warm.

What nail polish color are you wearing right now? Natural. Beauty item you cannot live without: Aesop moisturizer. Who was the last person to cut your hair? The last time I got a haircut was at the John Frieda salon in London.

How do you stay in model shape? Any tricks of the trade? I’ve played soccer, handball, and basketball since I was five years old. I have great muscle memory so I don’t have to do much, but I like to run a lot, and when I’m on vacation, I do water sports and play tennis. If you weren’t modeling, what would be your dream job? Something with sports. I love soccer and was chosen to be on the Estonian national team, which was one of my dreams, but I went with modeling instead. If I weren’t currently modeling, maybe I’d still be playing soccer or designing sneakers . . . something in one of those fields.

One place you always visit while in New York: Walter de Maria, The Earth Room. It’s on Wooster Street. Favorite destination you have traveled to so far: The Maldives, for my honeymoon. Where would you like to go on your next vacation? In August, I always go to Ibiza. It’s like a tradition but Christina wants to go to Thailand.

What is the best advice you’ve ever been given? Don’t complain about stupid things. What quality is most attractive in a boyfriend or girlfriend? Sense of humor. I love to laugh, and it’s the worst if your partner can’t make you laugh. What quality do you most appreciate in a friend? Honesty—no matter what. Name one natural talent you wish you had: To be able to sing. Subject you could wax poetic about: I’m fascinated by ballet. What are your words to live by? Love, health, and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment