Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Alessandra Rich on going west, long hemlines and never having enough denim

Alessandra Rich has been into long hemlines well before it became one of the biggest trends in fashion. In 2010, she launched her namesake label, the majority of which is made up of sheer-and-lace dresses that skim the ankles. With her capsule collection for Net-A-Porter launching today, Rich talks to Vogue about fashion’s ‘more brains, less legs’ motto and her muses from the 70s.

Your approach to formalwear is incredibly modern, while still being reminiscent of a time when women dressed up more frequently. Do you believe we have lost the art of dressing up?

I don’t think so. Women today are more self-confident. I think there is a link between what a woman thinks about herself and what she chooses to wear. It’s not about how many long dresses you have in your wardrobe but about your attitude. A clever woman knows how to mix modernity with tradition, without being nostalgic.

Alessandra Rich on going west, long hemlines and never having enough denim

kissyprom strapless prom dresses

It seems like everyone in fashion is adopting longer lengths now. Have you noticed a shift towards length since you launched your label?

Fashion changes fast, I try to be out of the trends but sometimes ‘being out of the trend’ can become a new trend. I noticed a shift towards ‘more brain, less legs’ in fashion. I think fashion can be clever and funny, in the same hemline.

Despite being long in hem and sleeve length, your dresses still reveal the body beneath through lace and fit. What tips do you have for layering undergarments beneath your dresses?

I love transparency and lace is essential to make it; it’s super feminine. I really cannot do without it. I don’t like to give too much advice; I think each woman knows how to feel good in her dress.

Where did the Western vibe come from for your Net-a-Porter collection?

My Western vibe comes from Western movies. I thought of Charlotte Rampling’s fabled look, Lauren Hutton’s smile, everything belongs to a 70s energy. I imagined an elusive muse, femme fatale and tomboy, fresh and wild.

What pieces in your wardrobe are on high rotation now?

My wardrobe is very basic, even boring. But in the rotation now there is a chambray body shirt from the capsule collection.

What is on your fashion wish list at the moment?

A new pair of jeans, because I can never have enough.

If you could dress anyone in the world, who would it be?

Going back to the past, Joan Crawford in Johnny Guitar.

What have you learnt about fashion since you started your label?

That fashion must be fun.

chiffon prom dresses

No comments:

Post a Comment