Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Amy Sedaris Dresses Like a Scarecrow, Looks Good Doing It

Today on Style, Amy Sedaris, author, comedienne, former Strangers With Candy star, and bona fide rabbit expert advises readers on how to care for their fashion bunnies. But when I spoke with Sedaris in her cozy Greenwich Village apartment, she had some fashion tales to share, too. For instance, last year, at her good friend Adam Selman’s debut presentation, Sedaris made an onstage cameo as a photographer (left), directing models as they posed in their silk shorts and swimsuits on set. “The other photographers thought I was a real photographer,” laughed Sedaris, who met Selman while the pair was working on a Dolly Parton video. “So they were mean to me—you know, pushy, bossy, aggressive. One photographer asked me what I was shooting for, and I was like, ‘Oh, there’s no film in this camera.’ Cuckoo!”

red prom dresses

Selman, who made Sedaris’ late rabbit Dusty a custom awning to sleep under, designs a number of the actress’s dresses. “He’s great, and he’ll help me pick out shoes,” she noted. While her custom Selman wares are decidedly more demure than that infamous fishnet-and-crystal number Rihanna worked at the CFDA Awards, Sedaris insists that she wouldn’t shy away from a similar ensemble. “I’d do it for a laugh,” she chuckled. “I’d just wear it out every day. To the gym even. Everywhere.”

That would be a bold move (and one we’d fully support). But Sedaris admits that the other night, while preparing for an evening out on the town, she was at a loss for what to wear. “Adam was here, and I was being restless, so I Googled how you’re supposed to dress when you’re over 50. And it was, like, stuff I would never wear in a million years! Not ever!” So how does Sedaris, who at this particular moment was donning some Junya Watanabe-esque patchwork jeans and a white T-shirt, describe her personal style? “I usually dress like a scarecrow,” she deadpanned. Well, Ms. Sedaris, if that’s the case, it’s working for you.

blue prom dresses

No comments:

Post a Comment