Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Emma Balfour on "daggy" style, Kate Moss and why she said yes to Ellery

Emma Balfour in conversation with Vogue.

Emma Balfour exchanged the life of a 90s supermodel for the one of a mother when she returned to her homeland at the end of the decade to raise her children in Sydney. However, fashion still beckoned and at times Balfour returned to modelling, always accompanied by the inevitable ‘comeback’ headline. Lately, she is “trying to say yes more often”, which for Australian label Ellery has resulted in her fronting their pre-fall 2014 campaign. Here, Vogue chats to Balfour about backstage beauty tricks and writing poetry.

How would you describe your style?

“In real life? Daggy, a bit arty, a bit dippy and practical. Sad but true.”

What influences your style?

Emma Balfour on

short chiffon prom dresses

“My contrariness. Trying not to look like everyone else.”

Everyone keeps saying the ‘90s are back. Do you agree?

“They seem to be. It’s terrifying when your own era haunts you again so soon!”

How do you think your style fits in with the Ellery aesthetic?

“I think the uniqueness of Kym’s pieces really fits with me. They are clever, bold and different.”

You seem to be quite selective with your work. Why did you decide to do this Ellery campaign?

“Her clothes are great, and she’s the real deal; full of energy and ideas. I respond really well to people who are passionate and authentic.”

Is there a fashion job or person you could never say no to?

“I’ve been trying to say yes more often lately. It’s a bit of an adventure and I’ve been travelling a lot more as a result, which I love again now that my kids are old enough to barely miss me. I have luckily worked with almost everyone on my wish list, but I’d love to work with Juergen Teller again.”

Who is your favourite model?

“I’ve always had a soft spot for Kate [Moss] but I find Julia Nobis a bit fascinating these days. She looks so cool and above it all.”

What is the best beauty tip you picked up backstage or on a shoot?

“Mixing lip balm and eyeliner to make a great messy smudgy eye.”

You’re also a poet. Where is your favourite place to write poetry?

“In bed. Or on a plane. I seem to actually write best when I’m away from home with my fresh eyes in.”

What questions are you tired of being asked in interviews?

“Current designer questions. Cause seriously, what do I know? I rise horses and look after kids for most of the time!”

http://www.kissyprom.co.uk/strapless-prom-dresses-online

No comments:

Post a Comment